Stormwater Revenue Study
The City of Gig Harbor created its stormwater utility in 1984. Since then, the City has seen significant increases in population, development, stormwater infrastructure, and stormwater regulations. Beginning in 2007 the City was mandated to manage the City stormwater facilities under a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit issued by the Department of Ecology. More recent stormwater regulations have created a mixture of regulations under which the City has managed stormwater between 1984 and today. Some of these mixtures of regulations have caused perceived stormwater rate inequalities between properties that have developed between 1984 and today.
Current stormwater utility costs and perceived rate inequalities are being looked at in the Stormwater Revenue Study. Neighboring municipality storm rates are also being reviewed as potential examples. Goals for the study includes redefining EBUs (equivalent billing units), establishing new rates, redefining Single Family Resident (SFR), and removing discounts.
The City's current stormwater utility policy and rate structure can be found in the Gig Harbor Municipal Code here:
View the Gig Harbor Stormwater Story Map and learn more about stormwater in our community.
Watch the Virtual Open House
The City held two open house forums to hear from residents and commercial businesses on the following topics: current stormwater utility costs, new rates, defining SFR (Single Family Residences), EBU’s (equivalent billing units), discounts and perceived rate inequalities.
A recording of the September 16 open house can be viewed on the City's YouTube Channel here: https://youtu.be/GlWYnsXAtcc
The presentation material from the open house can be viewed here: Stormwater Utility Revenue Study
Stormwater Revenue Study Key Dates
- June 10: City Council Study Session
- Wednesday, September 15 from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. and Thursday, September 16 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.: Virtual Open House. Open Houses were the same content on both evenings. A recording of the September 16 open house can be viewed on the City's YouTube Channel here: https://youtu.be/GlWYnsXAtcc
- Tuesday, October 12 at 3:00 p.m.: Draft Ordinance Presentation to the Public Works Committee. Agenda, packet, and video from that meeting can be accessed at https://www.cityofgigharbor.net/AgendaCenter/Public-Works-Committee-10/?#_10122021-167
- Thursday, November 18 at 3:00 p.m.: Council Study Session. Agenda, packet, and Virtual Zoom Meeting Link:https://www.cityofgigharbor.net/AgendaCenter/City-Council-3/?#_11182021-188 This meeting may also be accessed through Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/93216056382 or by calling (253) 215-8782 and entering Meeting ID 932 1605 6382.
- Early 2022 - City Council meetings: PUBLIC HEARING and First and Second Reading of Ordinance – Adoption of new Stormwater Revenue Rate Structure. Watch City Council meetings live on Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/93216056382